History

Early in 1911, Colonel John Q. Dickinson, a prominent Charleston businessman, gave a $100 bill to Pat B. Withrow to start a Gospel mission. It was upon this act of confidence and faith that "Brother Pat," as he later became known, launched Charleston's Gospel Rescue Mission.

Brother Pat used the $100 gift to acquire and convert a house on the corner of Clendenin and Lovell streets in downtown Charleston. Here he brought his family to live. With a few alterations, he changed what was formerly a house of ill repute into a place where he held nightly Gospel services and Sunday School.

Brother Pat often proclaimed that Sunday, October 1st, 1911 was the greatest day of his life. On this afternoon, 167 people crowded into the mission's hall. Together they launched a moving force in Charleston. The mission has served the needy of West Virginia with its works and facilities ever since.

In the beginning, the mission was a place where Brother Pat could preach the Gospel. He soon realized that the people who attended the services had needs for physical assistance as well. Thus began the next phase of the mission's work; meals were offered, beds made available, and job opportunities provided on a limited basis.

These were the humble beginnings of Union Mission. The mission has since grown into additional areas of ministry, but encouraging people to accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of their lives has remained a priority in everything we do.